I think many video conference interviews suffer from what I call “Strangeritis Maxitosis.” This condition is a largely ignored social phenomenon that occurs when
- strangers meet and attempt to do important business before becoming familiar, and then
- falsely attribute their mutual failure to the other party.
In other words, the most potent factor negatively affecting most strangers’ interactions is – wait for it…
THE FACT THAT THEY’RE STRANGERS!
While this simple fact seems obvious, employers and job seekers perpetuate the dysfunctional activities of applying online, showing up at job fairs clutching paper resumes, jumping on video conference calls, and showing up for in-person interviews to engage with strangers.
Repeat after me:
- A job opening doesn’t make anyone less of a stranger.
- A job seekers’ interest in that job doesn’t make them less of a stranger.
What is the root of this problem, and why does it persist? Here’s my diagnosis: Employers have finite resources for hiring. They can’t interview everyone, and their “compromise” solutions dictate hiring processes across the board. Once they’ve thrown money at a problem, they’re not open to being told they’re still doing it wrong – so there’s that.
On the other hand, job seekers are so frustrated and desperate to get ANY response or feedback from prospective employers that they still follow instructions for applying – knowing it’s likely a waste of time. But they need a job, so around and around we go.
The Good News: There’s a CURE!
First, those seeking treatments need to acknowledge the core issue: There is no shortcut for getting to know someone. Reread this: There is no shortcut to getting to know someone.
The solution to this problem is simple.
- We live in the Information Age, and video is the de facto standard tool for communication.
- At the first contact with an employer, job seekers must present better, comprehensive, job-related information supported by video to reduce the amount of due diligence needed to vet them.
- Employers must be open to receiving and reviewing this information and clearly understanding a candidate’s value proposition BEFORE engaging in safeguarding interactions against Strangeritis Maxitosis.
This therapy starts with candidates, and the prognosis is excellent! Repeat after me: “A rising tide lifts all boats!” When prepared job seekers submit better screening materials, discerning recruiters are sure to follow! We have a free ebook available to show you how to get started! Just fill out the form below, and we’ll send it to you. There’s also an inexpensive masterclass with step-by-step guides if you’d prefer jumping right in and going all the way!
Better, focused, and organized information is he best vaccination for Stangeritis Maxitosis – and there are no shots to take!
In 2022 Control Your Career. Don't Let Your Career Control You!
If you'd like a bird's-eye-view of an excellent, modern job search plan that includes leveraging video, we have a free ebook available to get you up to speed! Just fill out the form below, and we'll send it to you.